Sunday, May 13, 2012

Angry Birds Birthday Party

Happy 9th Birthday, Logan!!

With everything else that has been going on, cupcakes seemed like the way to go for snack at school and they turned out so well, Logan decided his party would not be complete without them too!  Yay, Mom!!
I started out with 2 regular cake recipes.  One for the cupcakes and one for the cake at home.  
The picture below shows most of the extras I used for decorating.  Green, yellow and blue decorating sugar.  Red sprinkles, large and small marshmallows, white malted milk balls and orange candy slices.  The only things not pictured are the chocolate chips, jelly beans and frosting. 

This was the best part of the entire experience!  I really dislike sprinkles.  They are messy, they get everywhere, they never stay in place.  Until now!  I flipped the cupcakes over after frosting them and dipped them right into the container!  GENIUS!  It was wonderful.  No random sprinkles, no mess, wonderful!

 
 I sliced the oranges in half to make the beak.  The small marshmallows were sliced in half as well then tucked in a chocolate chip, pointed tip down for the eyes.  I sliced the big marshmallow into four slices the long way for the bottom.  Then stuck in the jelly beans and used black frosting piped on for the "angry" eyebrows!  Below is a picture of the three birds, one pig and the eggs.  For the pigs, I used one fourth of the large marshmallows as the nose, then frosted over it before putting in two more chips for the nostrils.  Then I cut the small marshmallows long ways for the teeth.  The eggs are just sitting in the grass (green frosting and sugar!).  After frosting the yellow and blue birds and the pig and grass, I added the colored sugar for a little more fun!  What a success!  Logan was SO incredibly thrilled!


  I used two round cake pans, poured half into each one and baked.  I flipped them both out onto plates.  The first one I left upside down and frosted lightly to hold on the second layer.





 Then flipped on the second cake so the rounded portion of the cake was up like it should be.  I added the green frosting for the entire cake.  Using large marshmallows, cut in quarters, I crafted the nose.  After positioning it onto the cake, I frosted over the marshmallows for the raised look.  I used another large marshmallow cut in quarters for each of the eyes and added chocolate chips for the nostrils and eyeballs.  I used whole small marshmallows for the teeth and four jelly beans for his horns.  After finishing that, I added more frosting around the entire bottom of the cake and stuck the eggs all the way around. 

And what a success it was.  Logan was beside himself with happiness.  His friends loved them and the mom's raved of my craftiness!  This was my first huge success in this department and I was so excited for it to turn out how I had it envisioned!  It was a relatively easy task, but for someone with my decorating skill, it turned out wonderfully.  I think!  I really had a lot of fun doing this little project and I was so happy to see the joy on my son's face when the final product was unveiled.  No matter what anyone else thinks, that made it all worth my time!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment