Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Home Made Animal Crackers


With the littlest of our family having the recent diagnosis of lactose intolerance, I have found myself making more and more food at home.  This recipe is fun, can be done with a 2 1/2 year old (fairly easily!!) and is quick.  I will post the recipe for regular crackers, but remember it doesn't take much to substitute if you are looking for lactose free!  

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grind oats until fine using a blender or food processor.

In a medium bowl, stir together the blended oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until the butter lumps are smaller than peas. Stir in the buttermilk and honey to form a stiff dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets or pizza pans!




Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges are lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.   Makes about 48-60 cookies depending on the size of your cutters.  I filled my reusable peanut jar (pictured above) and still had about 10 left over. 






To make these little gems lactose free, I simply substituted regular butter for soy butter and made my own buttermilk with soy milk and lemon juice.  I also decided to add a little extra honey into them since the real "animal cracker" has more of a sweet taste to it.  I ended up using 4 tbsp of honey vs. what the original recipe called for.  Still makes a wonderful, healthy snack for my littlest man!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment