Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Doughnuts

Logan, Henry and I are all huge fans of lemon poppy seed.  It can be any form, muffin, cake or recently our newest favorite, the doughnut!  I had been searching in vain at Wal-Mart and other local stores for a doughnut pan with absolutely no luck.  I found one online for $15.95 plus shipping and tax.  Now, I have never made a doughnut before.  Ever.  Spending close to $20 on a pan that I am unsure if I will ever use again was a little more than I could choke down.  There is an outlet store about 35 miles from our house, but I had no other reason to drive up and hope the kitchen store had what I was looking for.  So, when I found out my friend Theresa had to go shopping for new shoes, I jumped at the chance for a little assistance in my search.  Thankfully, she was a wonderful friend and was able to help me out.  For only $8.99, I got a doughnut pan!  Promptly, two days later, I embarked on the wonderful process of doughnut making!  And just look at this amazing goodness!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk (or soy milk, which I used because of the lactose intolerance)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

For the glaze:
3-4 tbsp lemon juice (really depends on how you want your glaze, thicker, less juice)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease doughnut pans.
In a small bowl, whisk together milk and sour cream. Set aside.
In another small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In large bowl, or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy - about 1 minute. Add egg, lemon juice and poppy seeds. Beat for 30 seconds, scrapping down the bowl as needed.








Then alternating flour mixture and milk mixture, combine all ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.














Transfer batter into a piping bag, or a Ziploc bag with the tip cut off.
Fill each doughnut indention 1/2 full. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the donuts are slightly browned and spring back when touched. Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack, and cool completely.








For the icing:
Place wax paper under a wire rack to collect drippings for an easy clean up.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Dip the top of each doughnut into the glaze and transfer to a wire rack to dry. Let set for 10 minutes and serve!
Will keep for a day or two in an airtight container, but are better fresh!



All this work, for a very happy baby and 9 year old.  Very worth it!  Oh, and I had a few too!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment