Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Home Made Fabric Softener

I am always on the lookout for something easy and green to help my family save money and not bring so many chemicals into our house.  Having the two littles (Sophie, 2 1/2 and Henry, 15 months) at home with me 24/7, I don't always have a ton of time to work on the green projects, but when I find something that looks as easy and money saving as this fabric softener recipe, I jump at the chance.  I am already using a home made laundry detergent (recipe to come soon!!) and I was surfing for a decent fabric softener recipe and came across this one.  It is super easy and quick to make.  I also adjusted the recipe to use it for dryer sheets too.  Using the following recipe, I filled my 65 load fabric softener jug about 3/4 full.  The bottle of conditioner cost $1 at the dollar store and the bottle of vinegar was $1.67.  When making this recipe, you will use the entire bottle of conditioner (15 oz.) and about 1/3 of the vinegar.  Total cost for 45 loads of laundry (including the dryer sheets) is $1.56.  Yep, I will take the time to make this recipe over and over again!!

 

Ingredients:

6 cups HOT water
2 cups Suave conditioner (your favorite scent!)
3 cups white vinegar



Pour the hot water and conditioner into a large pan or bucket.  



Slowly, mix them together with a whisk.  If you stir too fast, the mixture will bubble and you will have trouble getting it all to mix together. 



Add the vinegar and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is completely combined.  

Store in an old fabric softener bottle or other air tight container.  I used a measuring cup with a pour spout to fill up my jug.  Use the softener in a softener ball, or two tablespoons in the softener section of your washing machine.  This will also work for HE machines!  :)



 

Then I used an old Tupperware container, put about 1/2 cup of the softener in the bottom and threw in my "dryer sheets".  In this case, old socks!!  I have found that it is a wonderful use for odd socks.  Just soak the sock in the softener, using a plastic fork or old fork, scoop one out and throw it in the dryer with the laundry. 

When the laundry is done, the sock is dry.  I just throw it back in the bowl and get out a new one for the next load.  I have done about 10 loads of laundry this way now and I do not have any static in my laundry or any odd "scent" from the softener socks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment