Monday, May 14, 2012

Jumbo Shell Lasagna

Growing up I can remember always asking for Lasagna for dinner.  Every day, every week, all the time.  It was one of my favorite dinners.  It still is.  I love lasagna.  I am always up for a new version of lasagna, it can be so much fun to put a new spin on an old favorite.  This recipe has become one of my kids favorite meals in a very short amount of time.  The recipe is super easy, same ingredients except a different type of noodles.  


Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 box of jumbo shells
1 can/jar spaghetti sauce (your favorite!)
1 large container of cottage cheese, small curd
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese


Directions:
1.  Cook the noodles to the directions on the box.  After they are done, drain and let sit for about 5 minutes so you don't burn your fingers!  
2.  Take one shell and add about a tablespoon of ground beef, 1/2 tbsp cottage cheese and pour some spaghetti sauce on top.  Place the shell in an ungreased 9x13 cake pan and continue filling all the shells.

 3.  If you use all the shells in the box, you will have to tightly pack all of the filled shells into the cake pan.  (I have to do a few without cottage cheese and cheddar for my lactose intolerant son, so my pan is not quite as full.)


 4.  Once your pan is full, or your shells are gone, you will have about half a container of cottage cheese and 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce left over.  I pour the extras over top of the filled shells and then add the shredded cheese.

 

5.  Place aluminum foil over the pan and place in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
 I serve ours with french style green beans and generally some home made bread.  Didn't get to the bread today, it was a little crazy, but you get the idea!!  Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment