Monday, April 23, 2012

Granola


A few months ago, I started making my own Granola Bars.  We seem to go through them at the speed of light around our house and I was tired of buying them every week and the awful things that were going into my kids' bodies.  Shortly after I found a recipe for making my own granola for the bars.  It turned out I liked to adjust my own recipe a little for each kind of bar that we made.  Here is the general recipe for the granola, but remember, you can add whatever you want to this mixture.  Including; almonds, raisins, any kind of nut and just about anything else that you want!


Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (uncooked)
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla 
 
Preparation:
Melt butter in microwave.
Heat honey in microwave for 45 seconds. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour into a 15 x 10 baking pan and spread evenly.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring after the first 10 minutes.
Cool completely.
Store in an air tight container for up to one week.
 
There are so many variations for making your own granola bars that it is impossible to list them all, but so far the favorites around our house have been; peanut butter with chocolate, cranberries with dark chocolate, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and the list goes on and on!  I will post my favorite recipe for the bars soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment