Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pizza Braiding

If your house is anything like mine, pizza is a huge favorite!  It seems like every time I ask the kids (or the hubby) what they want for dinner, the answer is pizza.  Well, I am a mom first of all.  Second of all, I get tired of eating pizza all the time!  :)  Now, don't get me wrong, I love pizza.  Just not two or three times a week, which is how often we would eat it if my children had their way.  Consequently, I am always looking for new, different, yet still the basic pizza idea!  As I was searching for a little something different, I came across a recipe for a Braided Spaghetti loaf.  I did try this recipe and it turned out pretty good.  Here's the link for that recipe:


I started playing around with the idea of using the same concept, but for pizza.  After a few attempts that were not exactly successful...I came up with one that everyone seems to love.  We have used it over and over now and done so many different combinations that have worked out, I am sure anything that you generally have on a pizza would work.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
1 jar of marinara/spaghetti sauce (your favorite will work best!)
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
pizza toppings of your choice (pepperoni, sausage, ham and pineapple, mushrooms, black olives)
1 tbsp olive oil
garlic powder
Italian seasoning

1.  Roll out the roll of dough onto a cookie sheet.  Just like if you were using it for home made pizza.  Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce down the center of the dough.  Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sauce and then add your toppings. 

2.  Using a knife, cut one inch strips diagonally down each side of the dough.  Fold the strips up and over the stuffing, alternating sides to get the "braided" look.  Brush the tops of the strips with the olive oil and then sprinkle garlic and Italian seasoning on top.  (You can use as much as you want, it is really dependent upon your own taste.)

3.  Bake at 400F for 16-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.  Let cool for about 5 min.  Slice and serve with the reserved marinara sauce (either cold or warm, again your choice!)


We have tried pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, black olives, ham and pineapple.  In the pics, we had actually tried cheddar cheese just as a different addition once again.  We changed the marinara sauce to BBQ once and did diced chicken breast.  It was fantastic!  You can really play with this recipe and make it exactly the way you love your pizza!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment