Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why?


The current question of the day, week, month around here is Why?  Sophie is pushing 3 years old and her why button has gotten activated in a big way.  Generally, the questions start easy.  Why are you washing dishes, Mom?  Why are you brushing your teeth?  As the day goes on, the questions become more unrelenting.  Why do the plants grow?  Why do they need water?  One day, after the 73rd why question, I must admit, I was getting desperate for the why's to stop.  Why are the plants growing, Mom?  Because that is what God wanted.  Then, she stopped.  We go to church on Sunday, we say prayers before bed, but that is about the extent of the discussions or conversations about religion around our house.  When she stopped asking me why, it was my turn.  Why is that a good answer?  That is when it happened.  My almost three year old daughter looked at me with innocence and said, "Well, Mom, if God wanted it that way, then it is."  Turning around, she went to play with her toys.  I was speechless.  My daughter had taken the exact meaning of so many sermons, so many ambitions of people and boiled it down into a simple sentence.  If He wanted it, is was.  To have the faith of a child would be such an amazing gift.  I try every day to bring God into our lives, even if the only way it happens is with prayers at bed time.  Of course, we fail, every day.  But, after listening to my daughter answer my why, we try harder, every day.  And to be honest, thank you Sophia, because we may be doing something just a little right if she was able to tell me, if He wants it, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment