Monday, October 29, 2012

A Family Affair

My kitchen may be my domain, but it belongs to my entire family.  Cooking, baking, enjoying the warmth, the scents, it is a central hub of our home.  Everyone has different "jobs" in the kitchen and we all try to be involved in one aspect or another when it comes to dinner time.  My 9 year old, Logan has become more and more interested in learning how to cook.  Not just helping make cookies or treats, actually making a meal.  

The last few months, we have started including him more and more in the dinner making process.  We started out slowly.  Picking out the vegetables and doing the prep work.  Setting the table, making sure all the proper condiments were available.  Making side dishes.  As he mastered each of these smaller tasks, we started adding more to his responsibilities.  I have never seem him thrive as he does when he successfully contributes to our dinners.  It is such an amazing feeling to know that we have found something to share that gives him such a sense of accomplishment.

Tonight, for the first night, he made dinner.  From beginning to end.  Mom "helped" from the side lines, but it was Logan's show.  He did AMAZING!  He made lasagna, green beans and garlic bread, and it was incredible!  The looks of pure joy as everyone complimented his meal were worth every extra second that I have had to spend in the kitchen teaching him the wonderful world of cooking.  I remember growing up, my mom tutored me through my earlier years of cooking and I thank God that she spent that time with me so today I was able to share it with my son.  Very happy momma tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment